If you think you have a gas leak, make yourself safe, turn off your gas at the meter if possible, and then call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999.
If you have a power cut, call 105 to be put you through to your local power distributor. They look after the wires connecting you to the grid and will get it fixed asap.
Can you smell gas or do you think there's a gas leak? The first thing to do is to make sure that you stay safe, so please:
- Don't smoke
- Don't light matches or cigarette lighters
- Don't turn light switches or anything electrical on or off, including using mobile phones
- Put out any naked flames such as candles
- Open all the doors and windows
- Turn off your gas supply at the meter (and leave it switched off until you're sure it's safe to turn it back on again)
Then, call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999 to report a suspected gas leak. They'll sort out the problem and tell you what to do to stay safe.
Gas Isn't Working
If none of your gas appliances are working then you should still call the National Gas Service Emergency Line on 0800 111 999. They'll walk you through the next steps and are responsible for fixing it.
If you have a power cut or see damaged power lines then contact your local network operator. You can get through to them by calling 105 from anywhere in the country.
Head to www.powercut105.com for more info and to find out who your local network operator is.
Electricity Isn't Working
If your electricity goes off, but you're not sure if it's a powercut in your area there are a few steps you can take to see if it's a power cut or a fault in your home. The easiest way to do this is to see if your neighbours still have electricity and to check your fuse box to make sure the master switch is on.
If your neighbours have power, then it could be a fault in your home. Your trip switch may have turned itself off. If it has, try turning it back on. If it switches off again then one of your electrical appliances may be faulty. Your trip switch turns itself off to make sure you don't get injured by a faulty appliance. Once you've found the faulty appliance and turned it off, your power should stay on.
Have you only lost power in parts of your home? You may have a fault with your electrical wiring somewhere, so call a qualified electrician as soon as possible.
If your neighbours don't have power either, then it may be a power cut. Your local distributor is responsible for ensuring the reliability of supply to your property. If you need to report it, call 105 to get through to the local network operator who look after the powerlines in your area.
If none of these solve your problem, you can call us on 0300 30 30 635 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org.