Can I get the Warm Home Discount?

Yes, we’re proud to be a Warm Home Discount supplier.

This means we provide £140 credit towards electricity or gas bills for the households that need it most.

How do I get the Warm Home Discount?

There are two ways that you can qualify for the Warm Home Discount scheme:

  • you get the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit - known as the ‘core group’
  • you’re on a low income and meet your energy supplier’s criteria for the scheme - known as the ‘broader group’

You can find out more about the Warm Home Discount in this GOV.UK article

Core group

If you qualify and were a Bulb member on the "qualifying date" (likely to be in July 2019, but the government hasn't communicated this date yet), you'll receive £140 (inc. VAT) in your Bulb account between October 2019 and March 2020.

If you qualify as a core group member, the Department for Work and Pensions will send you a letter in October or November 2019 to let you know what you need to do to receive the credit.

If you haven't received a letter by 7th December 2018 and think you should have. Then you'll be able to contact the Warm Home Discount helpline on 0800 731 0214, Monday to Friday, 8:30AM to 4:30PM.

Broader group

Our applications for the Broader Group for winter 2018-19 are now closed. Applications were processed on a first come, first served basis. 

You can register your interest for winter 2019-20 here.

We will email everyone who registers their interest (as well as members who have already received the WHD with us) when applications open again in Autumn 2019. 

Are you eligible for the broader group? 

Please note that different energy suppliers have different eligibility criteria for the Broader Group. See the explanation provided by Ofgem about this here.

For winter 2018-19, Bulb used BEIS' recommended criteria (listed below). Bulb is looking into increasing this criteria for winter 2019-20. We will update this page when our new criteria has been confirmed. 

If you're unsure about the benefits you receive Citizens advice can help. 

You're eligible if you receive qualifying criteria from both sections:

1. receive income support And a qualifying criteria from (A)

2. receive income-related Employment and Support Allowance which includes a work-related activity or support component  And a qualifying criteria from (A)

3. receive Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance AND a qualifying criteria from (A)

4. are in receipt of universal credit, and your annual income is less than £16,190 and are employed, self-employed or not in work  AND a qualifying criteria from (B)

5. receive child tax credit by virtue of an award which is based on your annual income being less than £16,190 AND a qualifying criteria from (C)

(A) if 1, 2 or 3, also have one of the following:

  • have a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
  • receive one of the following in addition to Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance,  or Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • A disabled child premium
    • A disability premium (or one of the following: Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment or Attendance Allowance), enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium
    • A pensioner premium, high pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium

(B) If 4, have one of the following:

  • is in receipt of the limited capability for work element, with or without a work-related activity element
  • is in receipt of the disabled child element
  • has parent responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you

(C) If 5, have one of the following:

  • has parent responsibility for a child under the age of 5 who ordinarily resides with you
  • receives the disability or severe disability element of child tax credit
  • receives a disabled child premium


Was this article helpful?