Support during the coronavirus outbreak

If you need help and can't find an answer in our Help Centre, send us a message or use our online chat. During business hours we usually respond to chats within 2 minutes.

Read our advice to members or find out what to do in an emergency.

Bulb and debt collection

If we haven’t been able to contact you regarding your debt, a collections agent may visit your home.

If your payments to Bulb fail, we'll get in touch with you. We want to understand what’s going on and offer help where we can. We'll try to contact you via email, SMS, phone and letter. If we don’t receive a response, we may have to pass your account over to a collections agency.

A collections agent might visit for a number of reasons. They could be checking to see if a property is vacant, if the occupants are vulnerable, or to discuss your debt in more detail.

How to identify a collections agent

The collections agents will let you know they're working for Lets Talk Solutions, and confirm that their visit is on behalf of Bulb Energy.

Debt options

The main reason for a visit is to understand your situation. The better we understand what’s happening, the more we can help. The aim is to make a one-off payment for the energy you’ve used, or set up a payment plan to help clear the debt.

If you’re unable to reach an agreement with the collections agent, we’ll set a date to install a prepayment meter in your property. This will enable us to recover the debt over time. This will result in additional charges.

If you're struggling to pay and would prefer a top-up (also called prepay) meter, we can replace your meter for free, just call us on 0300 30 30 635 and ask.

Companies we work with

We work with debt collection agencies when members aren't getting back to us. Before involving any debt collection agency, we'll send members a number of emails, letters, or text messages in an attempt to resolve the situation.

We use different debt collection agencies for different situations: 

  • LCS may act on our behalf if your energy was supplied by Bulb, and you never told us you were responsible for the property, 
  • Lets Talk may act on our behalf if your energy is supplied by Bulb, and you haven't told us you were responsible for the property.
  • Opos Ltd or Lets Talk may act on our behalf if your energy is, or was, supplied by Bulb, and there is an outstanding balance on the account.

All these agents will aim to get in touch to organise a repayment plan that works for all parties. You can confirm the purpose of the agent's visit by calling their debt collection agency, or Bulb.


Read more about LCS, and Opos Ltd.


Was this article helpful?