SmartThings Energy Control (STEC) helps you understand your energy usage and connect to smart technology from your phone. You've probably got questions. We answered some of them below.
What you need to use SmartThings Energy Control (STEC)
To use SmartThings Energy Control you need five things:
- A Bulb account - this service is only available to Bulb members at the moment
- A second generation (SMETS2) electricity meter
- A Chameleon In-Home Display (IHD) that can connect to Wi-Fi
- An iOS or Android smartphone
We're currently installing two different versions of IHDs, called an IHD3 and IHD6. If your IHD is black, you have an IHD3. If your IHD has a white border, you have an IHD6. Both IHDs are manufactured by Chameleon.
Using STEC on Bulb's smart tariff
STEC currently works for Bulb members on our single Vari-fair tariff only.
You can connect your smart meter to the service if you're testing our smart tariff, but the cost information shown in the SmartThings app won’t match the energy cost shown on your IHD. That's because STEC currently uses Bulb's single Vari-fair tariff to calculate costs. We plan to add an option for members testing out the smart tariff soon.
Using STEC if you switch to another energy supplier
What happens if there's a power cut
Your IHD will send the data to your app as soon as power is restored.
If you have a power cut, your electrical appliances will stop working. That includes your Wi-Fi and the IHD. The IHD won't send any information to the STEC while the power is down, but it will catch up as soon as your power is back to normal.
What data we share with Samsung
If you're a Bulb member and you've chosen to sign up to Samsung's SmartThings app, we'll provide Samsung with access to your energy usage data and information about your tariff.
How Samsung uses your data
These are the key points:
- your data will be stored securely in the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Samsung will hold your energy usage data for a maximum of 13 months from the date it was created
- if you don’t use the SmartThings app for over a month, Samsung will automatically delete your data
Deleting data about your energy usage
Samsung will permanently delete data about your energy usage when you remove your IHD from the SmartThings app or delete your SmartThings app. You can also ask Samsung to delete your data in accordance with the recent General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) legislation.
If you delete the SmartThings app, Bulb will continue to store your energy usage data so we can keep your account running smoothly and send your balance and statements each month.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Get more information about:
- how the SmartThings app works
- how STEC works with your smart meter
- how STEC works with your In-Home Display (IHD)
- how to get started
And if you need more help, you can contact Samsung by: