To apply for the Warm Home Discount from Bulb under the 'broader group', you need to receive one of the eligible low income benefits.
One of the additional eligibility criteria must also apply to you.
It doesn’t matter when you joined Bulb, as long as you get your electricity from Bulb when you apply and when you get the payment.
If you're unsure if you qualify, read our eligibility advice.
Low income benefits
The eligible low income benefits are:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance ESA which includes a support or work-related activity component
- Child Tax Credit that’s been awarded based on an annual income of £16,190 or less
- Universal Credit with an earned income of £1,349 or less in at least one assessment period since 1 October 2018
- the Savings element of Pension Credit
- Housing Benefit with a total annual household income of £16,190 or less
- Working Tax Credit that’s been awarded based on an annual income of £16,190 or less
Additional eligibility criteria
The additional eligibility criteria are:
- you’re responsible for a child aged 16 or younger who normally lives with you
- you’re aged 65 or older
- you get a disabled child premium
- you get a disability premium, enhanced disability premium or severe disability premium (this includes Disability Living Allowance, Personal Independence Payment and Attendance Allowance)
- you get a pensioner premium, higher pensioner premium or enhanced pensioner premium
- you get the 'limited capability for work' or 'limited capability for work and work-related activity' element of Universal Credit
- you get the disabled child element of Universal Credit
- you get the disability or severe disability element of Child Tax Credit
- you get the Carer's Premium or Carer's Allowance for someone in your home
- you get the disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
You're not eligible if you only get contribution-based ESA
Under Ofgem’s requirements, our broader group criteria must be linked to low income. So while contribution-based ESA does not qualify, income-related ESA does.
You may qualify if you get any of the other low income benefits in our criteria, as well as one of the additional eligibility criteria.
You are eligible if you're in the support group of income-related ESA
You qualify under our additional criteria, because you’re automatically entitled to the 'enhanced disability premium' or the 'disability income guarantee'.
Contact Citizens Advice if you're not sure about the benefits you receive
Citizens Advice will be able to talk you through your situation and help make sure you’re claiming for the full amount you’re entitled to.
How the broader group criteria are chosen
Ofgem sets the basic criteria for suppliers who offer the Warm Home Discount. Suppliers can also pick additional options and criteria for their customers to qualify for the scheme.
Because suppliers can pick their criteria, there isn’t a single version of the broader group that applies to all suppliers. But Ofgem does need to approve the criteria that each supplier sets. So you may be eligible with one supplier and not another, and the criteria can change each year.
This year, we’ve expanded our criteria beyond Ofgem’s recommended list so more people are now eligible.