The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) scheme

The Energy Company Obligation (ECO) is a government scheme to help eligible households save money on their energy bills.

Bulb works with the ECO scheme to help fund energy-saving home improvements, like cavity wall insulation, loft insulation, ​​replacing broken boilers or heaters.

You may be eligible if you own or privately rent your home, or live in social housing. You’ll need to receive certain benefits to qualify.

When you apply for ECO funding, we'll ask for some details about your property and the benefits you're getting.

Apply for ECO funding

If you qualify, one of our partners will get in touch 

Once you've submitted the form, one of our partners will give you a call within 5 working days if you’re eligible. They’ll let you know they’re working on behalf of the ECO scheme, and explain what happens next.

The work isn’t always completely free of charge. It depends on the type of work needed, and the requirements of your home. Once you’ve spoken to one of our partners, you can choose to go ahead with the work or cancel it if you can’t afford it. If you rent your home, or live in social housing, you’ll need to talk to your landlord first and get their permission for any work in writing.

The improvements available through the current ECO scheme include:

  • replacing old electric heaters with storage heaters, or upgrading existing storage heaters, at the same time as improving wall, loft or floor insulation
  • replacing inefficient, non-condensing boilers, at the same time as improving wall, loft or floor insulation

  • insulating walls, lofts and floors
  • installing central heating systems in homes that have never had central heating before

The next stage of the ECO Scheme, which is due to start later in 2022, will expand the eligibility criteria for heating system replacements and upgrades. This means we're likely to be able to expand the types of support we offer.


Qualifying benefits for ECO funding

To be eligible for funding under the ECO scheme, you must get at least one of the following state benefits:

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer's Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit (eligibility depends on your annual household income and how many children you've got)
  • Constant Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance
  • the Guarantee Credit part of Pension Credit
  • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance 
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance 
  • Income Support
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Universal Credit 
  • War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • Working Tax Credit

If you get the Warm Home Discount as part of the core group, you’re more likely to qualify.


Other ways to save energy at home

For free, or low cost changes you can make to lower your energy bills see:

Was this article helpful?