Support during the coronavirus outbreak

If you need help and can't find an answer in our Help Centre, send us a message or use our online chat. During business hours we usually respond to chats within 3 minutes.

Read our advice to members or find out what to do in an emergency.

Getting paid for exported electricity

We pay for exported electricity through our Export Payments.

They're part of the Smart Energy Guarantee (SEG). The SEG replaces the government Feed-in Tariff (FIT) scheme.

You can sign up for our Export Payments if:

  • you generate electricity from solar photovoltaic panels, wind, hydro, anaerobic digestion or micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP)
  • you have a smart meter or export meter that records your exported energy every half hour (a SMETS1 or SMETS2 meter)
  • your installation is MCS certified and has an MCS certificate
  • the total installed capacity of your installation doesn’t exceed 5MW, or 50kWh for micro-CHP (you can find this information on your MCS certificate)

Once you’ve joined we’ll ask for meter readings every 3 months and pay you 5.38p for every kWh of energy that you export.

You can only get export payments from one energy supplier, so if you’re already getting them from somewhere else, you’ll have to switch your payments to Bulb. You also can’t receive FIT export payments at the same time.

Our Export Payments are subject to Terms and Conditions.

Was this article helpful?