If you generate renewable energy at your home, you might be eligible for our Export Payments. Sign up and we'll pay you for the energy you export to the grid.

Our Export Payments are part of the Smart Energy Guarantee (SEG) that replaced the government’s Feed-in Tariff (FIT) scheme.

How much you'll get paid

We’ll pay you every 6 months, in April and October.

You'll get:

  • our exclusive rate of 5.57p per kWh if Bulb supplies your electricity
  • our standard rate of 3p per kWh if you get your electricity from another supplier

If you switch your electricity supplier while getting Export Payments with Bulb, the rate we pay you will change from the date your switch completes.


You can sign up for our Export Payments if:

  • you generate electricity from solar photovoltaic panels, wind, hydro, anaerobic digestion or micro combined heat and power (micro-CHP)
  • you have a smart meter or export meter that records your exported energy every half hour
  • your installation has an MCS certificate, or a certificate from an equivalent scheme, such as Flexi-Orb
  • the total installed capacity of your installation doesn’t exceed 5 MW, or 50 kW for micro-CHP (you can find this information on your installation’s certificate)

Our Export Payments are subject to Terms and Conditions.

You don’t have to be a Bulb member to sign up

You can sign up for our Export Payments even if your electricity is supplied by another energy supplier. 

You'll get our standard rate of 3p per kWh. But if you switch to Bulb, you'll get our exclusive rate of 5.57p per kWh.

If you already get export payments with another supplier

You can only be paid for exports by one energy supplier. 

If you’re already getting payments from another supplier, but you'd prefer to get them from Bulb, follow these steps:

  1. Contact your current supplier and end your contract for exported electricity payments. This is usually called a Smart Export Guarantee tariff.
  2. Sign up for Export Payments with Bulb.

And if you get Feed-In Tariff export payments with another supplier, you’ll have to tell them you want to opt out of those payments before you can apply for Export Payments with Bulb.

If you have batteries

You can sign up for Export Payments if you have batteries that export, as long as you also have a certified renewable installation. 

We currently don't pay for energy from batteries alone. 

After you’ve signed up

We'll need to do a bit of behind-the-scenes work so that Bulb can claim your exported energy as our contribution to the grid. 

We’ll email you when we've finished setting up your Export Payments. 

Sending export readings

We'll try to take readings from your smart meter automatically.

If we can't, you'll need to send us an export reading every 6 months. We'll send you an email when it’s time. You can find out how to take an export reading from your smart meter if you’re not sure. 

How your exported energy reaches the grid

Your exported electricity will automatically go to the grid as long as your installation is connected to it. When you sign up for Export Payments with Bulb, we’ll pay you for that electricity, and claim it as our contribution to the grid. 

For Bulb to claim the electricity that you export, your export MPAN (a number that identifies your export meter point) must be registered to Bulb. Don't worry, we register it when you sign up. 

If you’re not signed up to our Export Payments at the moment, Bulb won’t be able to claim your electricity. Until you have an export MPAN that is registered to Bulb, the electricity you export doesn’t go to Bulb.  

Because of this, we aren't able to make back-payments for electricity that you exported before you were signed up to our Export Payments.

Was this article helpful?