Our Energy Fund offers financial support to our members with energy debt.
If you’re eligible for the Energy Fund, we’ll clear your debt with us. We’ve partnered with Citizens Advice Plymouth, an organisation that specialises in supporting people with energy debt. It's available to our members across the country (not just in Plymouth).
September 2020 update: We’ve used up our debt write-off fund for 2020. But you can still apply for the Energy Fund, and we’ll let you know when other support becomes available.
You may be eligible for the fund if you:
- are a current Bulb member
- have more than £150 of debt
- pay for your energy monthly - not with a top up (also called prepay) meter
- can’t repay your debt within 12 months on your current income
- can afford to pay for your ongoing usage after Citizens Advice Plymouth have helped you increase your income, such as by claiming benefits
You must also have a household income of less than £16,190. Don’t include any income from:
- Attendance Allowance
- Child Benefit
- Child Tax Credit
- Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support or Council Tax Benefit)
- Disability Living Allowance
- Housing Benefit
- Personal Independence Payment
- any Universal Credit payments you get for children or housing
How it works
- You apply for the fund, confirm your income is less than £16,190 and that you’re happy for us to refer you to Citizens Advice Plymouth.
- We’ll check your account and make sure you have a recent meter reading - so we know your balance is correct.
- If you’re eligible, we’ll refer you to Citizens Advice Plymouth.
- Citizens Advice Plymouth will chat to you about your current situation and give you budgeting advice, an income and expenditure assessment, benefit entitlement checks and energy advice. They’ll also ask for evidence about your situation.
- Once they’ve approved you, we’ll ask you to pay for your energy usage as normal during each of the next 3 months. We’ll work out your monthly payment amount by dividing your estimated annual usage by 12.
- After the third payment, we’ll clear your debt with us, so you can have a fresh start.
If you’d like to know more, you can take a look at the terms and conditions.