With Smart Pay As You Go, you can top up your electricity and gas meters in your Bulb account, through the Bulb app or at a PayPoint store - whatever’s best for you. And because you’ll be able to see how much you spend and how much credit you have left, you’ll have more control over your energy.
In this article, find out about:
- topping up with Smart Pay As You Go
- checking the balance on your meters
- how to fix a problem with your top up
We've also got articles on:
Topping up with Smart Pay As You Go
You can add credit to your smart top up (prepay) meters any time you like, by topping up in your Bulb account or the Bulb app. Or you can go to your nearest PayPoint and top up in store with a payment card.
In your Bulb account and app
After we’ve processed your payment, we’ll send the top up to your meter. This should just take a few minutes, and we’ll keep you updated by email and in your Bulb account.
In store at your nearest PayPoint
- £5 for electricity
- £1 for gas
Checking your balance
You can also check your balance on the meter. If your meter:
- has a keypad, press the ‘B’ button once
- doesn’t have a keypad, press the ‘A’ button once
If there's a problem with your top up
If Bulb can’t communicate with your meter, or your top up hasn’t worked, we’ll send you a 20 digit code to top up. This code is sometimes called a UTRN, and can be entered into your meter to add credit.
Check your top up history in your Bulb account. If we’ve noticed an issue with your top up, you'll see a top up code.
The code will also be printed on your receipt if you topped up in store.
If you can’t see a 20 digit number or the code doesn't work, get in touch and one of our team members will help you out.
To manually add your top up to the meter, follow the steps below.
If your meter has a numerical keypad (manufactured by 'Secure'):
- Press the ‘A’ button on your meter - you’ll see the message ‘Vend Mode’ appear on the screen.
- Enter your top up code using the keypad on your meter. If you make a mistake, press the ‘A’ button to scroll back to the number you want to change and enter the correct number.
- Once you’ve finished adding your code, press the ‘B’ button to confirm.
- The meter will check the code to make sure you entered it correctly. If everything looks ok, the message ‘accepted’ will appear on the screen along with your top up amount.
If the meter shows a ‘rejected’ message, it’ll also tell you the reason for the error. You might need to try entering your top up code again, or check your code hasn’t been used already. If you see the message ‘invalid’ on the screen, get in touch and we’ll look into it.
If your meter has 'A' and 'B' buttons (manufactured by 'Landis+Gyr'):
- Press the ‘A’ button on your meter twice to get to the ‘Add credit’ screen.
- Press the ‘B’ button - you'll see the 'UTRN' screen, where you can enter your top up code.
- To enter your code, press the ‘A’ button to scroll through the numbers 0 to 9, then press the ‘B’ button to move to the next digit.
- Once you’ve finished adding your code, hold the ‘B’ button down for at least 2 seconds to confirm. The meter will check the code to make sure you’ve entered it correctly, then will return to the home screen.
If the meter shows an ‘invalid payment code’ message, check the code hasn’t been used already, then try entering it again.
If your meter has an 'OK' button and a 'return' button (manufactured by 'EDMI'):
The ‘return’ button is the one with the arrow pointing up and to the left.
- Press the ‘OK’ button to enter the main menu.
- Press the ‘OK’ button to enter the ‘Prepay Menu’.
- You’ll see the words ‘Top Up’ on the screen. Press ‘OK’.
- To enter your code, use the arrow buttons to scroll through the numbers 0 to 9. Press the ‘OK’ button to move to the next digit.
- When you’ve finished adding your code, press and hold ‘OK’ to confirm.
- The meter will check the code to make sure you’ve entered it correctly. If everything looks ok, you’ll see the message ‘DONE’ or ‘Successful’ and your top up amount.
If the meter shows a message saying ‘FAIL’, try entering the code again. If that still doesn’t work, get in touch. We’ll look into what’s gone wrong.