If you’ve got an electric vehicle (EV), link it to your Bulb app to make the most of our nifty EV features.
You’ll be able to:
- view the live status of your EV - such as charge state, charge percentage and range
- control your charging - choose whether you want to manually or smart charge your EV
And for members testing our EV Tariff (currently in beta testing), we'll be launching our 'home charging’ feature soon. You’ll get a breakdown of your standard and off-peak charging costs for each day of the week - so watch this space.
To make the most of our EV features in the app, like smart charging, you may need to turn on location and charging data in your car.
Find out about:
- the EV makes we support
- downloading the Bulb app
- linking your EV
- unlinking your EV
- controlling your EV’s charging
Supported EV makes
Our app supports the majority of EVs on the market, and we’re regularly adding more.
Car models we can't support
There are some car models we can't fully support, as they don't have location capabilities. This means you won’t be able to control your charging through the app.
If you own a:
- Skoda ENYAQ iV, you can link your car to see the charge state, but you won't be able to control your charging yet - Skoda is working on adding this in the future
- Volkswagen ID.3 or ID.4, you won't be able to link it to the app, but you may be able to control the charging through your VW app or car dashboard
Downloading the Bulb app
The free Bulb app is available for:
You need to have the following software on your phone to use the Bulb app:
- iOS 11 or later
- Android 6 or later
Some app features may not work on older software or tablets.
Linking your EV
- Go to ‘Account’ in your Bulb app.
- Press ‘Link your EV’ under ‘Add an electric vehicle’.
- Select the make of your EV.
- Sign in with the details you used to set up an account with your car’s manufacturer.
- Press ‘Allow’ to give us access to your EV data.
It may take a couple of minutes before you see your EV on the 'Home' and 'Account' sections of the app.
How we use your EV data
We need access to some of your car data to enable EV features in the app. When we connect to your car, we protect your data with end-to-end encryption, meaning it’s always secure.
We ask for access to your:
- make and model information - so we know your car range and the size of your battery, to work out how long it will take to reach your charging limit
- charge state - so we know your car's current battery percentage (%)
- vehicle location - so smart charging schedules only affect charging at home
- vehicle charging settings - to charge at off-peak times and to let you manually start charging from the app
Unlinking your EV
If you need to unlink your EV, for example, because you're selling it, you can do this from the 'Account' section in the app.
- Go to ‘Account’ in your Bulb app.
- Select ‘Manage vehicles’ under where we list your EV.
- Press ‘Unlink’ next to your vehicle’s make.
- When asked to confirm unlinking, press ‘Unlink vehicle’.
Once you’ve unlinked your car, you won’t be able to see your EV range or battery percentage anymore.
Control your EV charging
To change your charging settings, tap on your car in the ‘Home’ section of the app, and then tap ‘Charging settings’. You can then choose how you charge your EV at home.
Your car will start charging as soon as you plug it in.
Use the app to let us know when you need your car, and we’ll make sure it charges at the cheapest times. And you’ll make the most of greener electricity overnight too.
Your car will be charged to the “charge limit %”. If your car needs to charge for longer to reach its charge limit, it may charge before off-peak hours start or after off-peak hours end, so costs will increase.
You may be able to change the charge limit through your EV manufacturer’s app, or on your car’s dashboard.